Campus News

Engbrecht says ‘no’ to candidacy as presidential search begins

-  -  14

Senior Vice President Dr. Dennis EngbrechtDr. Dennis Engbrecht will not be the next president of Bethel College. Despite the fact that the search for a new president is still in its infancy, Bethel’s senior vice president does not want his name to come up in any talks. “I am not a candidate, nor do I want to be a candidate,” said Engbrecht. On August 21, Dr. Steve Cramer, Bethel’s current president, announced his plans to retire at the end of this school year. Since then, a search committee has been compiled to begin the process of selecting Cramer’s successor. One thing is for sure, they will have to find someone other than Engbrecht to fill the position. “My skill set is not appropriate for the role of a college president,” said Engbrecht. It simply comes down to the fact that Engbrecht is content with the role that he currently occupies. “I have been blessed over the past 27 years to serve in a capacity at Bethel that has me excited to do what it is that God has called me to do,” said Engbrecht. The eleven-member search committee will now conduct a nationwide search for the next president. A specific timetable for the process has not been set at this time.