Students reflect on last-minute cramming during Easter break

-  -  40

This year’s Easter break gives students a time off before jumping right into the last week of classes and finals week. It’s a quick turnover, so “The Bethel Beacon” went out and talked to students about how they feel about it. “It’s just it’s really close, and so it’s a lot of stress during the break, I guess, just to get stuff done,” said Christina Martin, a senior biological chemistry and molecular biology major. When asked if she was looking forward to the break, Alyssa Cavender, senior general music major, said, “No, because I have a huge paper due, and I’m also working, so I don’t have as much time to work on it as I wanted to, but that’s because it was so late in the semester.” “I think it’s kind of unfortunate,” said Haley Atkins, senior nursing major, “for me, personally, it’s not too bad, but I know for my friends, they have so many papers and things they need to finish. That week before finals is one of the most critical weeks in the school year, so it’s kind of frustrating…having a break before, but also, I guess, if you’re behind, you have time to (catch up.)” “Honestly, I don’t understand why we have a break, ‘cause it’s so close to the end of the year, so I don’t see why we have a break,” said Evan Herr-Knispel, sophomore exercise science major. “I mean, it’ll be nice, but I don’t see the point of it.” Adrienne Koppinger, a senior education major, spoke a bit about finishing up big projects over break. “As much as it’s a bummer that you don’t get the break, it’s nice to have that time to be able to cram stuff in and get it done before finals.” Cavender said she understands the way the break fell this year. “I mean, it’s a little annoying, but also kind of understandable, because when we had spring break, it was like seven weeks into the semester, and then we had like seven more weeks and then another break, so it evened out,” she said. “But just the way that it fell, the week before the last week of classes was a little hectic in my opinion.” Herr-Knispel went on a bit more about why he feels the break is unnecessary. “Well, like I said…besides Good Friday, I don’t see much of a point of it,” he said. “I mean, I feel like you should just push through and get done. We’re right there, so I don’t see why we have another break right before one more week before finals…I feel like we have too many breaks. But then again, my major’s not that hard, so that’s probably why.” Still, not everyone is down about the break. “I don’t know, it’s not really bothering me that much,” said Koppinger. “I kind of wish we had Monday off, so that you have time to stay there on Easter.” So, do students think extra time after Easter break would be more benefitial? “I agree, just because I think it gives more time for deadlines," said Cavender. "If Easter break wasn’t so late in the semester, we might have another week, or at least half a week, to get (projects) done.” The seniors reflected on whether this quick Easter break turnaround has happened before. “I don’t know, it could just be this year,” said Martin. “This year just seems like it’s come up really fast, but it could also just be (my being a) senior, and I have other things on my head, and I’m not thinking about it.” “I feel like it’s never been this close to finals,” said Atkins. Atkins and Koppinger both agreed that a Friday to Monday break would be a better option than a Thursday to Sunday break. They dislike having to travel back to school on Easter Sunday. But like it or not, Easter break is here, Bethel College. Just be ready to jump back in head-first come Monday.