Bethel College Athlete of the Week

Student Athlete of the Week: Kamala Glenn

-  -  128

This week, the Beacon sat down with junior biology major Kamala Glenn, a guard on the women’s basketball team. She improved statistically and led the team in points (15.9 PPG), assists (3 AVG), and steals (2.1 AVG). She also scored a career game high 29 points in two games this season, just missing the 30 plus points club for Bethel women’s basketball. Her up-tempo style of play complemented Kaitlin Elsasser’s play in the post. Despite her team’s record this season, Glenn has high hopes for the young Lady Pilots team and only sees improvement as her team grows.

Q: What has made this season of basketball different from previous seasons? A: I have a different level of confidence in my playing ability this year. This summer I worked on my game, whether it was getting shots up, conditioning or working on my ball-handling. I also enjoy my teammates who are all very supportive. As the season continues, we continue to grow. Our record doesn’t reflect the talent we have on our team. We can only go up from here. Q: When did you first pick up the game of basketball? A: I first started playing in fifth grade at South Arbor Academy. I started playing basketball and volleyball the same year. I didn’t think too much of it (at the time). (Later), I knew I had a knack for the game and I wanted to pursue it. Q: Who do you look to for advice on the game of basketball? A: My family. My parents both grew up athletes. My dad was a coach and he has coached me ever since I played AAU travel basketball. My siblings have all played basketball. They are all very supportive and are willing to help me improve at any cost. Q: Why have you stuck with basketball after all these years? A: By the grace of God and because I truly enjoy playing the game of basketball. Having good-hearted people around helps you love the game and want to continue playing. Basketball is something that led me here (to Bethel) spiritually, academically and physically. I have also been able to travel the country and make everlasting friendships. Q: What are some of your basketball philosophies? A: One of my philosophies is to be the best player every time I step out on the court and never take anything for granted. I tore my ACL in high school which made me realize how quickly something can be taken away from you and I didn’t know if I’d ever be able to step foot on the court again. I also always try to remain positive. Q: Where do you hope to take the game of basketball after you graduate, if anywhere at all? A: I’ve been asked this question a lot recently. I don’t have a definite answer. Initially, I wanted to use my basketball talents to get to college and get my college degree which I’m currently doing. Afterwards, (I hope to) stay around the game of basketball and help mentor younger athletes. The Beacon staff wishes Glenn the best of luck this offseason as she hopes to improve her game once more and bring her team back to the NCCAA tournament. (Photo Credit: Bethel College Athletics)