Bethel’s own Cidney DoBrodt prepares to launch solo album

-  -  28

Cidney DoBrodt’s album “Undone” is set to release on Friday, March 17. DoBrodt is also planning to publish the album on iTunes and Spotify as well. She’s anxiously waiting to push the “Publish” button on her first solo album. When asked how she feels about the upcoming CD release, DoBrodt stated that there are a lot of emotions swirling in her head. Cid Album V8Artboard 7 “It’s a little scary, actually,” said DoBrodt. “It’s really awesome to see it all come together and see how far this process has come. It started with just my guitar and me and has blossomed into this thing that is way bigger than me. It’s nerve-wracking, because I have to live up to everything on this album, but I’m very excited.” DoBrodt is bringing her recording experience that she gathered from her first trip to Nashville, where she and a handful of worship arts students recorded the Bethel College “Anchor in the Undertow” album. However, DoBrodt did reveal that this wasn’t her first time trying to record an album on her own. “My friends surprised me with a recording session at the Kroc Center when I turned 16, but that was just me and my guitar,” said DoBrodt. “It was really cool. They got the money gathered (and) told me I had to have songs ready. Half of them weren’t even done yet and I went out there and recorded them.” DoBrodt hasn’t ever been shy of the music world, singing for chapel band, concert choir and even leading worship in her church. But her love of music first stemmed back to when she was still in diapers. “From the moment I was still in car seats, my mom would tell me that I was always beating on my legs or my seat when songs would come on,” said DoBrodt. “I did performances for people with just a cassette player when I was young.” As for writing, DoBrodt says that her writing has come a very long way from when she first started in 7th or 8th grade. “I started out with the cheesy ‘why-doesn’t-anyone-love-me’ kind of songs, which makes me cringe when I look at my old journals,” said DoBrodt with a laugh. “But a lot of the real writing that I’ve ever done came out for ‘Undone’.” DoBrodt believes that her music speaks so much to the fact that life is extremely difficult and full of so many unexpected twists and questions. “Inviting the brokenness into my life has been something that I have really had to learn the hard way over the past two and a half years,” said DoBrodt. “Being broken and having those feelings of being broken can still bring about holiness.” DoBrodt has battled tremendously throughout the past few years in many personal areas including her mother’s battle with cancer and the untimely passing away of her sister. “This album really focuses on allowing myself to understand that there is brokenness and knowing that there’s hope and that’s okay,” said DoBrodt. DoBrodt prides herself on being able to use her music as a tool for coping not just for herself, but also for all. “My favorite songs are the ones that talk about those who have come from very vulnerable places, and not just words that rhyme or paint life like it’s perfect,” said DoBrodt. “All of (‘Undone’) comes from me as I am learning how to cope with my sister passing away. There’s guilt, not giving myself enough space to listen to God… This album says ‘I’m not going to pretend like I’ve got everything together and figured out.’” DoBrodt continued, “There is still hope in the darkness. The darkness here is not the devil, but our experience with incredibly rough times…Even if my answer is ‘I don’t know or understand,’ that still allows God to move in our lives. When we ask hard questions, we have to find our love in something new. For me that love is Jesus. People need to hear a glimpse of what genuine hope can be and what it is capable of. That’s my heart for these words and this album.” “Undone” was a long process for DoBrodt, but ultimately, it was one that allowed her the chance to see all sides of music production. DoBrodt joined the worship arts program during her junior year. Bethel had a connection with five-time Grammy nominee Billy Smiley, who came to do a writer’s workshop with some of the worship arts students at Bethel. He off-handedly mentioned working together with DoBrodt on an album at some point. Then, when some of the other worship arts students went down in the spring of 2015 to record some songs in Nashville, Smiley heard DoBrodt sing for the first time. “At that time, Billy, Terry (Linhart) and I had the discussion about making a solo album,” said DoBrodt. “In July of this past year, we scratch-tracked all but one of the 16 songs for ‘Undone.’ Then in September, I went down with a few other Bethel people to record the whole thing with vocals and everything else.” At the end of the day, DoBrodt felt very humbled to find so much support from the staff and faculty of Bethel College. “Without Bethel I would have never had any of these opportunities,” said DoBrodt. “I owe Bethel my life. Their belief in me has pushed me greatly and I couldn’t be more grateful.” Singing has always come naturally to DoBrodt. However, she explained that there was a bit of a learning experience when she began to work on promoting and advertising for this album’s release. “There has been a huge learning curve with all of the advertising and marketing sides of this,” said DoBrodt. “I had to learn all about money, marketing, fonts, t-shirts and all these different things in a new way that were way outside of my comfort zone. The hard part has been learning how to do so much advertising and marketing things on my own, but still knowing that there are some great people helping me as I need help.” However, this album has taught her much more than the art of promotions. “Undone” is a tangible representation of the journey that she has taken in finding peace amidst the stress that life throws at those who live it. “Learning what it is that I want people to hear is something that I have had to learn and am continuing to learn,” said DoBrodt in reflection of this album’s process. “There are things that I’ve had to learn along the way about myself while also trying to learn about things like marketing or advertising. But more than anything, this album has taught me how to find peace.” DoBrodt continued, “All of my songs come from very dark places. Sometimes I’m still in those places, but this album is me, and that’s really scary at times. But as far as being vulnerable and putting myself out there, I feel like I’ve achieved those goals.” DoBrodt will be graduating in less than 50 days and will become one of the first students to graduate from Bethel College with a degree in worship arts, something that both inspires and humbles her. “I feel honored to be one of the first people to receive this degree, but then again I’m also leaving when the program is just starting to really get rolling,” said DoBrodt with a smile. “We feel very valued that the administration and staff have made things very relevant to us, but also how they have generated ideas for what students will appreciate in years to come.” DoBrodt has two predominate areas of passion when it comes to her future career plans: worship leading and her music. But her heart within those areas is heavily geared towards building community over striving to be the next Hillsong worship leader. “Worship leaders should be investing in the communities that they have and not strive to have the fanciest show or production,” said DoBrodt. “As far as the future is concerned, my main goal is to help build a community that breeds trust and is welcoming to all people. That could be through worship-leading, music, counseling or whatever. At this point I’m ‘hands open’ to what God wants to do.” As far as future albums are concerned, this up-and-coming artist is unsure but willing to consider the potential of another group of songs to be produced. “I want to use other people’s stories,” said DoBrodt. “I’ve heard some other people’s stories that are tough and from broken people that have really spoken to me. I’d love to write my next album from other people’s perspectives. Learning to listen and learning to love despite the hurt and hardship is huge to me and helps us grow.” As she prepares for the launch of this album, she leaves with her chin high, knowing that she has done the work set out for her and is thankful for those who have encouraged her along the way. “Bethel has been so instrumental in my life,” said DoBrodt. “I have to thank Terry Linhart, Barb Bellefeuille, Gregg Chenoweth and all of the crew who helped make this album and pushed me beyond belief. When I say ‘I owe Bethel my life,’ I really mean it. Without the connections and relationships that have happened through Bethel and God’s love pouring through all of this, I wouldn’t have been able to stand here today.”File Jan 17, 12 43 06 PM