Entertainment

Theatre seniors reflect on their final performance

-  -  62

On Saturday, March 24, the theatre department presented its final performance of "Fiddler on the Roof." As the conclusion of the 2017-2018 theatre season, it was an emotional night for many of the performers, but especially for the seniors.

"Now that I'm a senior, I see all of these things that I'm going to be leaving behind," said Leah Jordan, a senior general music major who played Fruma Sarah and was part of the ensemble. "The last scene... it was the last time that I would see this audience, see these people in these costumes [and] just see them as they were on the stage, so that was so powerful for me." Alex Price, a senior theatre arts major, played the lead role of Tevye. "Fiddler on the Roof is one of the only musicals in the American Musical Theatre canon that I would classify as a 'perfect musical,'" wrote Price in an email response to questions. "The story is amazing, the music is great and the overall production is just perfect. I also believe that Tevye is one of the hardest roles to play in musical theatre for a male, and I definitely felt that pressure and significance while playing the role." Looking back, both Jordan and Price believe that being a part of Bethel's theatre has helped them to grow and develop in ways they will continue to see even after leaving. "Experiencing everything that theatre has to offer, even though I'm not technically a major, has been really incredible," said Jordan. "I'm really going to miss it... we've had our ups, we've had our downs, we've had a lot of fights; but we've still made it work, and having the opportunity to make it work has been really good... I wouldn't have changed this experience for anything else." "I would not be the person I am today without my time in Bethel theatre," wrote Price. "I’ve become a well-rounded theatre artist who has been offered amazing opportunities because of my training at Bethel. I’ll be heading to Edinburgh, Scotland in September to obtain my MFA in directing, and I wouldn’t be doing that without my time here. I love Bethel and all the memories I’ve made along the way! L’Chaim!" (Photo Credit: Bethel College Department of Theatre Facebook page)